If you have any suggestions for links we would be very pleased to hear from you. Please contact us using the form on our to contact page.
- Association for French Language Studies (AFLS)
Founded in 1981 to encourage and promote language teaching activities and research in French Language and Linguistics as areas worthy of consideration in their own right.
- The Association for the Study of Modern Italy
Association of University Professors of French and Heads of Departments of French in Universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- The Centre for the Advanced Study of French History
- Centre for European and International Studies Research
- Centre for French History and Culture
The St Andrews Centre for French History and Culture was founded in 2005 to enhance and expand the university's existing strengths in French history.
- Deutsch-Franzoesisches Institut
- Franco-British Council
- Institut Français
- Institute of Historical Research Modern French History Seminar
- Maison Française d'Oxford
La Maison Française d'Oxford est un centre de recherche du Ministère des Affaires Etrangères associé au CNRS.
- Société des Anglicistes de l'Enseignement Supérieur (SAES)
- The Society for French Studies
the oldest and leading learned association for French studies in the UK and Ireland.
- The Society for the Study of French History (SSFH)
- Society for Francophone Postcolonial Studies
- University Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES)
- University Council of Modern Languages (UCML)
- UK Council of Area Studies Associations (UKCASA)
UKCASA (United Kingdom Council for Area Studies Associations) is a Council made up of Area Studies Associations in the UK
General Resources for French Studies
- AMOPA Grande-Bretagna - Foire aux Questions
- International Social Research Methods
An on-line databank of International Social Research Methods Case Studies. The databank was developed and tested in a series of training workshops in international social research methods funded under the ESRC initiative. The workshops were designed to meet the needs of researchers who are engaged in, embarking on or using social research with an international dimension. The website provides further information about the format and contents of the workshops, together with a searchable database of case studies and a guide to further reading on international social research methods.
- HUSSARR website
- The 2001 Group and the University Teaching Database in French Studies
- Institut National de l'audiovisuel
The website is available in French, English and Chinese and has links to job advertisements and training courses.
Excellent and indispensable resource for all researchers.
French and Francophone Studies discussion lists
A popular electronic discussion list providing a useful source of information for all those involved in the teaching and researching within the field of French and Francophone studies worldwide.
A website in French providing a forum for those researching literature of the Maghreb countries (Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia).
Libraries and archives
- Archives de France
- Archives Made Easy
- Archives Nationales de France
Le site et la revue de référence des cultures africaines.
- Bibliothèque francophone multimedia de Limoge
- Bibliothèque nationale de France
- Bibliothèque Publique d'information, Centre Pompidou
- The British Library
- COPAC® is a union catalogue. It provides free access to the merged online catalogues of 24 of the largest university research libraries in the UK and Ireland plus the British Library and the National Library of Scotland.
- Le Monde: archives payantes du journal.
- The Library of Congress. Online Catalog.
- British Film Institute
Information on French films available to buy on DVD .
French newspapers and newspaper archives online
- Le Monde
- The supplement, Le Monde des Livres
- Le Monde Diplomatique
- Liberté: Daily Algerian independent newspaper. Archives available online.
- Le Matin: Daily Algerian newspaper, dossiers and archives available online.
- Le Figaro
- Le Nouvel Observateur
- Le Point
‘Le quotidien de toute l'afrique’. On-line newspaper of Francophone Africa
‘Daily world press - 1420 newspapers - 192 countries.’ All major Algerian newspapers on-line, including El Watan, Le Quotidien d'Oran, El Youm. In French and Arabic.
The Francophone world
- Francophone Africa at the University of Portsmouth
Page maintained by Dr. Tony Chafer and Paul Wright.
- University of Portsmouth Algerian subject website
Links to books and newspapers. Page created by Dr. Martin Evans.
- TennesseeBob's Famous French Links
‘The most up-to-date, exhaustive gate to French-speaking world on the Web!’
- Information on Francophone Africa-related web sites and discussion lists
Has a bibliography by Thomas C. Spear of Francophone literature. Maintained by Thomas C. Spear, Associate Prof. of French, Lehman College, City Univ. of New York.
La Francophonie académique, culturelle et scientifique. FRANCOFIL est un centre de ressources académiques, scientifiques et culturelles sur les pays francophones. FRANCOFIL s'adresse en priorité aux chercheurs, professeurs et étudiants qui désirent faire des recherches ou continuer leurs études dans un pays de langue française. Mais tous ceux qui s'intéressent à la francophonie y trouveront des informations de qualité.
Le site et la revue de référence des cultures africaines.
Book sellers and publishers of French Studies material
- CPEDERF is a recognised export agency for French publishers and distributors of books, CD Roms, videos and CDs. The organisation also provides a research assistance service and a tour-planning service for study tours. The staff are bilingual French-English.
A French company which exports French, English and Spanish books, second hand and out of print books, CD Roms, CDs, videos/DVDs and IT software.
- Berghahn Books
- Arnold publishers
- Macmillan Press
- Harwood academic publishers
- Berg Publishers
A website offering ebooks which you can read in PDF format with Adobe Acrobat Reader, AER format with Adobe Acrobat eBook Reader or with a PC or pocket PC using Microsoft Reader.
- The Continuum International Publishing Group
- Amazon.fr: for French books.
- Galaxidion: Experts in out of print and old books.
Journals of French Studies
- French Studies
A quarterly review published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for French Studies.
French Politics Culture, and Society: a journal focusing on modern and contemporary France. The journal is published by Berghahn Books and subscription information, online articles and submission guidelines are accessible from the Berghahn Books website. Click on 'journals' and then on 'French Politics Culture, and Society'.
- French History: Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Society for the Study of French History. The website contains a full listing of articles in French History since 1996, subscription information and a free contents alerting service.
- Journal of French Language Studies
Published jointly by the Association for French Language Studies (AFLS) and Cambridge University Press encourages and promotes theoretical, descriptive and applied studies of all aspects of the French language. The languages of the journal are French and English.
- University of Sussex Journal of Contemporary History - postgraduate electronic history journal.
- Journal of Common Market Studies
Published in association with the University Association for Contemporary European Studies.
- Journal of the Centre de recherches et d'études en civilisation britannique
- French Politics
‘French Politics is a significant and distinctive addition to the top rank of international peer-reviewed journals in French and European political science.’ Palgrave Macmillan.